Hello from Northern California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ksmoore, Apr 3, 2016.

1. ksmoore

ksmoore Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2016
    I am a new chicken momma to 8 chicks. I have been educating myself on this site for months, and am very excited to be a new member. My chicks are approximately 7 weeks old. I have a SL Wyandotte, a Barred Rock, a Buff Orpington, a Black Sex-Link, a White Leghorn, an Ameraucana - or what was sold to me as an Ameraucana- but I think she's an Easter Egger, a Rhode Island Red, and somehow I bought a Cornish Rock thinking she was something else. Such a rookie mistake. I want to raise laying hens and pets, not meat birds. Not sure what to do about her, but she's sweet. I'm really hoping my RIR is a "Ginger" and not a George. She rushes my hand when I reach into the brooder, will peck once or twice, then let's me pet her. I'm going on the premise that if she's aggressive, "she" could be a "he". I'm very excited about raising these beauties and am so thankful for The BYC site!

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here, thanks for joining us!

If you haven't already, check out the Learning Center, there's so much information available there.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    RIR have a reputation for being aggressive. I don't know if it starts in the brooder or much later. Chickens have no hands so test everything by pecking it- that could be mistaken for aggression.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

all the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by