Hello from Northern California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Looneybirds, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Looneybirds

Looneybirds New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    Placer County, CA
    Hello all, I've been reading BYC for a couple of months and finally decided to join and post. I bought 10 chickens in September and have build a brooder and Coop and have really had fun with it. The whole Family loves taking care of them. We have 5 different breeds. Rhode Island reds, Black Rocks, Brahma, Ameraucana, and Marans, We bought two of each. One of the Brahmas was killed by a hawk so we only free range them when we are outside. Thanks for all of the help and advice.

Cheers

Charles

2. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    Hello from West Virginia!
    I have Rhode Island Reds & Ameracuna too! I used to have Brahmas, until a hawk got her. I had to start all over because of raccoons & hawks. Now I have 19 fully grown chickens, 7 Silkies, 4 baby chickens, 4 Gunieas 1 Cochin Bantam & 3 ducks. I had more, but I down sized a little. I also have 3 rabbits. 1 is a male New Zealand, 1 rare colored female Holland Lop, & 1 female mixed breed Kalico. The New Zealand & Holland Lop will be put in the fair in August!

3. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    [​IMG] One of my hens was almost killed by a hawk. The hawk grabbed her and was flying away with her when my neighbor noticed, clapped her hands, and the hawk dropped my chicken.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

6. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    I went outside one day & heard a hawk & looked over the fence & saw a retailed hawk taking off with one of my half grown chickens. It must of dropped it bc it went in a circle & landed on the ground & started eating it until I scared it away. I don't have a prob with Hans anymore bc when I go to school my right hand man (dog) watches over my live stock for me until I get home. I bet all my birds would be gone if it wasnt for my trusty sidekick Buck, he's a Border Collie! I will hear hawks, but hardly see them anymore!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Charles, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Good luck to you and your birds and have a Happy New Year!

9. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Charles, Hello from the East coast. Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by