Hello from Northern Colorado!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BeeBeeCO, Mar 26, 2015.

1. BeeBeeCO

BeeBeeCO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    Loveland, CO
    Hello!

My name is Brittany and I am so happy to announce that I am getting chickens next week! I just moved to Loveland, CO from Denver this past autumn. Our new house is on 14K sq foot lot with no neighbors on one side and the other being on the farthest part of the property. The property also backs onto open land so it's sort of off by itself without being too far away from everything.

ANYWAY, this year I am prepping for my large vegetable garden and chickens were also something I wanted greatly. I actually grew up with chickens but the story of how we got chickens is a funny one: I was maybe 12 or so and my younger sister was probably around 10 years old. We lived in the suburbs but it backed onto farm land. My sister and I often spent out days at the local creek exploring. Well, one day my sister came home because she had found 3 chicken eggs near the creek. She asked my parents if she could attempt to hatch them and they decided to humor her. Lo and behold, then next day all 3 hatched! We ended up having 2 Plymouth Rock hens and 1 rooster. Because of the rooster, we had to get rid of them all eventually, I think around 2 years later.

But I thoroughly enjoyed having chickens as a child and enjoyed having the fresh eggs as well. My goal now as an adult is to have them be primarily egg layers but also as pets. Really, my goal is just to be as self-sustainable as possible so chickens and my own garden is great for that. Loveland allows up to 6 hens.

My husband is a tax accountant so this time of the year he is incredibly busy and works every single day. So, he wasn't exactly up for the task of building a coop from scratch. Instead, he went on craigslist and purchased me a pre-made one instead. This particular one is for 4-6 hens but I am planning on getting 4 to start. A local feed place up here is having a backyard chicken event this weekend so I am looking to get chicks from them.

I am looking to get Cochins & Golden Wyandottes, with Americauna and Faverolle as backups if I can't get my first choices. I'm so excited and ready!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Brittany, nice to meet you . So glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock. I assume you will be buying very young chicks. Do you have a brooder prepared for them? Generally chicks are not put outside till they are fully feathered out - usually around 6-8 weeks. , and need a heat lamp for the first few weeks. Our Learning Center is frull of great information, as is the Raising Backyard chickens forum above. Hope you will update with photos once you get them home.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Brittany. Glad you decided join our flock. Drumstick diva has given you some good advice. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chickens.

4. BeeBeeCO

BeeBeeCO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    Loveland, CO
    Yes, I'm planning on putting together a brooder tomorrow! :) And I believe the chicks will be about a week old, maybe less.

And I'll definitely be posting pics!

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC, Brittany![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

You've picked out some nice breeds to get! Wyandottes of any variety are my favorite breed. I love their temperaments, good egg production, and hardiness. I've had a couple Cochins before, too, and they've also had excellent temperaments.

8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG], Brittany! I'm glad you joined our community!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by