Hello from Northern Illinois!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sarahbelles, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Sarahbelles

Sarahbelles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Buffalo Grove, Il
    I have visited this site often since we first got chickens in 2013. Our girls are now nearly a year old and doing well. We have two RIR, one EE, one Buff Orpington, and one Black Australorp. The reds pick on the Orpington and the Australorp something awful. We are thinking of finding a new home for them.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That may be best, I've never had any experience with them but have heard they are very bossy

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Make sure you are providing them with enough room. Chickens love to pick on each other when they are cramped in. You can always use pinless peepers on the aggressive birds. I have a hen that needs to wear these occasionally as she is sometimes overly aggressive with the other hens.

Good luck and enjoy BYC!

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

5. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    :welcome

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on the Pinless Peepers for aggressive birds you want to keep.

7. Sarahbelles

Feb 20, 2014
    Buffalo Grove, Il
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! I will research the peepers to see if that is the route we want to go. Thanks for the tips!

8. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I always found my RIRs quite bossy and would pick on the others...thus I no longer have RIR in my flock.

9. Sarahbelles

Feb 20, 2014
    Buffalo Grove, Il
    Yesterday I drove both my RIR out to their new home in Indiana. They now have several roosters and other hens to integrate with. All reports are that they are doing fine, and the remaining chickens are much happier now. Our next batch will not include any RIR!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by