Hello from Northern Indiana , about a dozen miles from Michigan.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Delmar, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi I'm Delmar and I am a new chicken owner. I work with adults with developmental disabilities and out seniors day program decided it would be fun to raise baby chickens. They kept them until they were to old to keep inside. So to make a long story short, I ended up with 10 of them. Five roosters and five hens. My original plan was to just put some weight on them as quick as I could before winter and butcher the lot of them, but Mrs Delmar is becoming rather attached to them So I guess I am going to be building a coop for the hens in the very near future.

Here is the setup I have so far.[​IMG] [​IMG]

I keep a tarp over half of it most of the time. They also have a plastic tub with a doorway cut into it that they can go in, if it gets cool, or when the hawks are on top of their pen, examining them closely. The good news is that the hawks didn't find a way in and went away after a couple of days! That might have to do with the fact that I let the dog out when I see them too. My dog, Ziggy is a 2 1/2 year old Lad, Springer Spaniel mix, and he seemed to understand right away that the chickens are not for him. One day my wife let two of them fly out of my first, make shift pen. Mrs Delmar caught one of them and Ziggy simply cornered the other one and waited for her to come and get it. Good boy Ziggy!

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Hi! [​IMG] I was expecting to see some snow on the ground in your neck of the woods! Lots of good information here. You could look on CL and see if anyone has something to work with. (Some folks here have built they're entire coop/run from things they've gotten off of CL.) You've got some work ahead of you but you'll have a lot of fun too. You can "search" the threads to find everything you need to know!! [​IMG]

3. Delmar

No it has been unseasonably warm here. We had highs in the 60s most of last week. I think we have had 5 or 6 nights when I had to break the ice on the chickens water in the morning. but haven't had any days below freezing yet.

4. Delmar

We have had the chickens for about 6 weeks, by the way, but I just got around to checking out this forum.

5. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. MrsDelmar

MrsDelmar New Egg

Nov 27, 2010
    Hey wait a minute... those look an awful lot like the chickens in MY backyard!!! [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:[​IMG]

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington to both of you

Imp

8. Delmar

Quote:Hey Babycakes![​IMG]

9. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri