Hello from Northern Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DickiesOutdoors, Apr 3, 2017.

1. DickiesOutdoors

DickiesOutdoors New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    I am definitely new to the world of back yard chickens. My wife thought it would be cool when we bought our old farmhouse out in the country, to finally get some. I spent a few weeks building a small coop out of scrap wood and pallets. With everything I built, I have $25 into it. With all the waterer's, food bedding, straw etc... We have a total of $60.00 wrapped up into it. We now have 7 hens now and are having a blast in only two days. Learning new things every day! Like how to chase a chicken with a fishing net in your pajamas because I didn't listen to someone.... Yea, I'm hearing about that one!

Look forward to learning a lot from all you!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. DickiesOutdoors

DickiesOutdoors New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. DickiesOutdoors

DickiesOutdoors New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    All my gals

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, DickiesOutdoors, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Loved the fishing net story! Been there...(but mine was with an escaped baby pig!! [​IMG]). As you are a chicken newbie, I recommend that you read up on some of the awesome and informative articles in the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center They will prepare you for 99% of what comes your way!
    And if you want to chat with fellow IN poultry peeps, find your state thread in this link and say howdy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

5. DickiesOutdoors

DickiesOutdoors New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    [​IMG]

6. DickiesOutdoors

DickiesOutdoors New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    Thanks RedSoxs, I really do look forward to learning a lot from all of you. Just been a couple of days, and I'm having a blast with it. Actually came home from work today found three eggs and one nesting box and I was very very shocked. Happy, yes. I didn't think I would start getting eggs until the stress level decreased a little bit

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under DickiesOutdoors [​IMG] Welcome!

You have a nice looking flock and congrats on the eggs.

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A lot of time the eggs were already in the pipe lines, so they laid them . Otherwise stress of moving etc, anything different with hens can make they stop laying for awhile, so if that happens it is natural. When they feel secure again they will continue to lay. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Way to go on re-purposing materials to make your coop and chicken accessories!

1 person likes this.
  10. DickiesOutdoors

DickiesOutdoors New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    Thanks all. Having a blast already

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by