Hello from Northern Lower Michigan!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DawnB, Sep 26, 2012.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning all. I found this site and am thrilled with the info I've gotten. My family has just recently adopted a flock of 15 chickens (12 Barred Rock hens, 2 Barred Rock roos and 1 RIR roo), 2 "attack" ducks (Muscovies) and 1 Toulouse gander. It's our first foray into poultry but we've got experience with quite a few domestic and exotic animals over the years (my husband is a high school biology teacher).

We were asked to take the flock because the people were being foreclosed on. One of our friends knew we were interested in getting chickens, so we agreed. The person that was taking care of them was doing minimal work at best. They've had a rough time of it and the move was traumatic to say the least (we hadn't expected it to go the way it did [​IMG]). We lost 4 hens on the trip over (it was a whopping 2 miles!). Needless to say, they're still a tad on the skittish side...but, we've only had them 3 days.

I do have hope, though. They all came running out this morning when I brought them breakfast...and the goose even honked good morning.

So, I'll probably have a ton of questions, so bear with me please. We live up near Traverse City, MI. The ladies and gents came a little sooner than we expected. We have a large run for them that we've made a temporary shelter in, and we're working on getting our coop built before the really cold weather sets in. Thanks to all who give the great advice/info here. It's been a ton of help so far!

Dawn

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] The chickens are lucky you took them in! Hope we'll see you in the duck section [​IMG]

3. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and greetings from Kentucky! Congratulations on your new chickens. We're so happy you were able to take them in and give them a new home.

[​IMG]

4. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Welcome to BYC.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Dawn, and welcome to BYC! Wow!! You got into poultry in a big way with chickens AND waterfowl! I wish you well with your assorted flock! [​IMG]

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Congrats and good luck. :thumbsup

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on your new additions! :thumbsup

10. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by