Hello from Northern Michigan!!! I just added my new chick and coop pictures too!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 1stTimeChikMama, Sep 20, 2012.

1. 1stTimeChikMama

1stTimeChikMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    I just wanted to introduce myself! I have been reading information on this site for the past few months and it has been WONDERFUL! I am new at all of this even though I grew up with almost every other animal imaginable (horses, trained dogs, took in hurt wildlife, etc)! I also have had parrots and raised a few hundred Gouldian Finches. I currently am owned by 2 children (ages 10 & 8), 6 English Golden Retrievers and 1 monster sized Rottweiler puppy (100+lbs at 10 mo old). I am in Northern lower Michigan and and I am learning everything I can as fast as possible about chickens!

As of this morning I am also now owned by 13 little chicks! I ordered them from Healthychicksandmore.com. They arrived this morning before 7am and I drove a little too fast to the Post office! They are all beautiful and wonderful looking little babies! I am SO very happy right now! They have found their water (I first dipped their beaks in as I set them in) and are eating and drinking like crazy already. I added a pro-biotic and electrolytes to their water to give them a little boost.

I ordered 12 chicks and received 13 (one bonus chick). I have 3 Barred Rock, 4 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Araucanas, and 3 Rhode Island Reds. I read a lot about different types so I thought I would try a few different ones out for myself.

I ordered them all as Day Old Pullets but I will have to wait and see on that!!! My first initial examination of each chick showed feather growth already in the wing feathers except for 2 Buff Orpingtons. I hope that doesn't mean they are boys!!! Time will tell though and I'm sure in the upcoming weeks I will be posting pictures to ask everyone's opinion on what they think they are!

I am also in the process of building my own first coop and I'm now just finishing it. It has been quite a bit of work but I'm almost there! Right now the chicks are in my spare room in a brooder and seem to be quite happy :)

I have added a lot of pictures of my new little chicks and also of my coop and the building process. Please feel free to check them all out and give your opinions (in my profile)!!!

Samantha ^_^

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Samantha, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Congratulations on being a new chicken mama!! [​IMG]

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    [​IMG]Hello & welcome to Backyard Chickens! So glad you joined our awesome community!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

7. Extra Java

Extra Java Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Southern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. dawg53