Hello from northern Nevada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gemoriah, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Gemoriah

Gemoriah Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    My Coop
    Hi, we got our first chickens last Aug. We kind of rushed into it, the person was giving them away on craigslist. They were quite young and we were ignorant enough to end up with 3 roosters and 1 hen. The guy said that they were all hens. Live and learn. The first week was a hard one for us, they wouldn't sleep in their coop and a raccoon got one one night. The next night we made sure they were locked up in the coop. The next week we bought a hen and a rooster (we still thought the remaining 3 were hens) from someone else. The chickens grew and each of the roosters revealed themselves one after the other. Each time they crowed it would be "oh no another one took a walk on the wild side."[​IMG] My girls were so attached to them that we couldn't get rid of them and its hard to eat something the girls named. So the final count was 3 roosters and 2 hens. My wife said to me one day "we need to get some more hens, the 2 we have are starting to think they work in a cat house." In February someone was selling 2 female ducks. That was something we were wanting and we got them. Last weekend the local feed store was giving away 5 pullets with every bag of start and grow. We added to our flock by 10 pullets. The little chicks are living in a x-large dog carrier in the living room till they get bigger and it warms up enough to put them outside. I get up every morning to chirps in the living room and the roosters crowing out in the coop.

That's ma story and I'm sticking to it.

I have been reading this forum for while now and finally pulled the trigger to sign up.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]
    I believe the correct ratio is 10 hens to 1 rooster to prevent injury to the hens from overbreeding. You may need to re-home some of the extra guys. You could also build them a "bachelor pen" [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    welcome to the flock [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Gemoriah, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Good luck with your new hens and best wishes!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great advice from lizz. Welcome to BYC. Multiple roosters gangbreeding hens can cause serious injuries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by