Hello from Northern Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wendylj, Mar 11, 2018.

1. wendylj

wendylj Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Hi all. My name is Wendy and I'm from Northern Ontario. I have 2 grown children, from my first marriage, and 2 grandchildren. I live with the love of my life and have been with him for 21 years. We're actually thinking of getting married soon. We have 1 acre with lots of blueberries and raspberries in our backyard. I wanted to let my girls free-range this summer but we are having a hawk and weasle problem and have a lot of bush around our property. It's been a challenging winter here and the first one with my new chickens. I had 25 Rhode Island Red layers and 100 meat birds about 25 years ago and have now adopted 5 Red Sex Link layers. I'm a lot older now so that's plenty. I used to live closer to Toronto and had no issues during winter. The winters in Northern Ontario are definitely a challenge. We had -48 this past winter. I'm going to re-house my girls this summer in our old travel trailer so they'll be happier and warmer next winter. I had an issue with combs getting frost bitten this year. Does anyone know if the frostbitten part, which is pale yellow to white, will come back to it's red color or is that permanent now?

2. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Crowing

Oct 27, 2016
    canada
    hello welcome to BYC awesome place here

from Saskatchewan here.

3. wendylj

wendylj Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Thank you so much. Nice to meet you.

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Meg-in-MT, Plip, rjohns39 and 2 others like this.
  5. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Wendy :welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)
    I can't help you with the frostbite, I'm in South Texas, What's "frostbite"?:gig but seriously, someone will be along soon to help you out. :highfive:

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Meg-in-MT, Teila, 007Sean and 4 others like this.
  7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    :welcome so glad you have joined us.

8. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Wendy and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya
    @BantyChooks can you offer some insight? Generally frostbite is from too little ventilation—but I don't have your weather extremes.

9. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    Welcome! Yellowish white will generally return to normal, but if it's black it'll come off. Yes, frostbite can occur from humidity being too high in the coop, but at some point, exposed flesh is just exposed flesh. It has no magical antifreeze properties, and at -48, frostbite isn't unusual at all.

If you dislike the idea of birds getting frostbite, switching to cushion or rose combed breeds is a good way to prevent it. I just deal with it, because at this point in time not all my stock has small combs. I am hoping to cull the remaining single combed birds soon, though. Good luck!

10. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Welcome to BYC, Wendy! Great to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: