Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BrookdaleQuail, Jan 27, 2015.

1. BrookdaleQuail

BrookdaleQuail New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Hello All,

We're looking at starting our first flock and we'll be reading as much as possible in advance of the spring to get ourselves ready. The kids (10 and 12) seem very interested right now, and their friends raise chickens. We'll see how that turns out when soccer season starts and they have other interests. For now, its nice to help them dream and encourage them to read (your stuff).

I am interested in raising some chickens (not sure what breed), and either Chukkar or Quail, obviously in separate coops. Thinking a dozen chickens and perhaps the same in quail to start. I am sure your experience and input will be very valuable to us, as we are complete newbs!

There are some chicken, chukkar, and quail farmers around here. Me thinks a visit is upcoming. So far I have enjoyed your coop designs and 'chicken-raining 101.'

regards
    Dan

2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Hope your new chicken venture goes well for you and your boys. They are great for getting kids out doors and learning about caring for animals. They also make great pets and you can even make lap chickens out of them, many of mine love to come nd have a sit and a chat!

Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help. Hope you enjoy BYC I am sure you will :frow

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

We'll be happy to answer all your questions! If you're thinking about raising quail, I suggest taking a look at the Quail forum: Quail

5. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

I'd definitely be sure to check out the Learning Center: Learning Center Articles Also, feel free to ask any questions that you have! We'll be happy to help. [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Dan. Glad you decided to our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (picture in my avatar) loves our chickens. Murray McMurray has an excellent "chick selector" tool at https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chick_selector.html to help you determine which breed is best for you. Just be sure to click on "show more characteristics." Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Good luck with your new adventure.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by