Hello from Nova Scotia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RubyMay, Aug 9, 2013.

1. RubyMay

RubyMay New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    South Shore, Nova Scotia
    This spring/summer we got our very first chickens. Having never had them before, we are all quite excited by the new hobby and addition to our garden. We have a total of 9 birds right now, 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Buff Orpington/Columbian Rock cross, 1vWhit Phoenix and 1 Bantam Silver Duckwing Phoenix. We're hoping to add some Welsummers, Faverolles, Ameracaunas, Marans, Dorkings and more Orpingtons and Sussex next spring.
    I first came across BackYardChickens.com while looking for coop ideas. I built ours all by myself out of mostly scavenged materials (while in my third trimester!) and am really proud of it! It still has some finishing, and I need to build the run still, but the chickens have moved in and seem very happy. :)
    I have 2 daughters (4 1/2 and 1 1/2) and am expecting baby number 3 this September. My partner is a clinical herbalist who is very patient and indulgent with my impulsive way of diving right in to new things. I have a small business making Waldorf toys, garden extensively, love cooking and preserving the harvest. We have 3 cats, 3 fish and one day when the kids are older we will add a dog. Next year we hope to add beekeeping to our little homestead.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am excited to learn all I can about tending a small flock!

Warmly,

RubyMay

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Ruby May, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Good luck to you and your flock!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your flock.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by