1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from NW Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChubbyMoose, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ChubbyMoose

ChubbyMoose New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Crown Point
    Hi, I'm Kristin.
    My parents (mainly father) raised chickens, turkeys, and a few pheasant back when I lived with them. It's been quite a few years and now that I'm raising my own family I am looking into hatching and raising a few chickens of my own.
    Now my main issue is the town, I live in Crown Point and can't have chicken coops within 400 feet of neighboring house, however would it be possible to have a coop in the garage and a x-pen in the yard?
    I already raise rabbits, I've spoken with someone at the local shelter and she said that while I can't have rabbits for breeding within 400 feet, I can have my grown out rabbits in a hutch. I don't want to keep chickens in the basement or anywhere in the house, did that would rabbits for a year and it was just bad for everyone.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have never had to deal with laws in my town as there are none where I live. But you might talk to your neighbors and see how they feel about your situation. If they are ok with you keeping them in the garage and letting them out in a pen in the yard, and remember, fresh eggs to the neighbors help to soften them, LOL, then maybe you could do this.

Good luck on this new adventure! Make yourself at home here and ask any questions you may have. Welcome to our flock!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. TwoCrows has given you some excellent advice so I'll just say, please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting some chickens.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Love your avatar!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wonder if having the coop in the garage would be a good loophole for you. Hope so. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you decided to join us.

Converting a garage or part of it into a chicken coop with adjacent outdoor protected run would work.

I absolutely agree with TwoCrows about talking to your neighbors. They would be the ones to turn you in if you breach any neighborhood covenant or city ordinance. It may really surprise you that some or all are planning the same thing.

Wishing you success on your new adventure.

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

9. ChubbyMoose

ChubbyMoose New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Crown Point
    Thanks for all the welcomes,
    I have talked to 2 neighbors on one side and they are fully supportive. One neighbor asked if she could buy some chickens and keep them with mine (she rents and isn't allowed any animals), the other couple asked if they could buy eggs from me when the time comes.

I've talked to animal control, the extension office and the planning commission. Animal control doesn't deal with houses in city limits, Extension office had no idea and is looking into it for me, and Planning commision seemed confused with what I was asking and she is going to have someone call me some time today. I'd love to find more people in crown point so the ordinance can be changed to allow chickens, even if it's a few hens.

I didn't even think of making a tractor, I looked into it when I was getting into rabbits but decided against it.
    Thanks Mountain peeps, it's my previous breeder, 3/4 Silver Fox and 1/4 New Zealand mix. One of the best tempered rabbits I've ever owned

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by