Hello from NW Montana!

SwanRidge

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2016
Columbia Falls, MT
Hello all,
I got an email saying I should introduce myself, so here I am. :) I used to have a flock of around 25 various chickens (I like eye candy and variety), 12 American Buff geese, and various ducks here and there. We recently moved and I had to give them all up and have been without since about June of last year. We are settled again at a new place with less acreage (used to have 90 acres), and no ponds so waterfowl is probably out. ;) I am looking very forward to getting chickens again in June and will be receiving a large shipment of Icelandic chicks at that time. I settled on the landrace because of their variety and hardiness as well as myself always being attracted to rare breeds. Nothing of the norm around here!...except maybe the border collies, but even they're weird.. ;)
I also raise Jacob sheep, love gardening, as well as herbal / essential oil supplementing. --Joan

Welcome to the flock!
smile.png
Muscovy ducks don't need a lot of water - if you want ducks...

Welcome to BYC, Joan, from your neighbor in NW Montana (in the edge of the foothills just south of Kalispell). :eek:) Glad you decided to join our flock. I would love to have some Icelandics and am curious were you are getting them from. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thank you everyone! I'm glad I finally signed up.

Michael, I'm receiving 25 chicks from David Grote at Whipoorwil Farm in WI the second to last week in June. I don't plan on becoming a "breeder" necessarily but hope to supply the Flathead area with chicks or hatching eggs when I can. I don't have any other chickens so they'll definitely remain as they are. I am avid in supporting rare and heritage breeds so these are right up my alley.
1f60a.png

Thank you everyone! I'm glad I finally signed up.

Michael, I'm receiving 25 chicks from David Grote at Whipoorwil Farm in WI the second to last week in June. I don't plan on becoming a "breeder" necessarily but hope to supply the Flathead area with chicks or hatching eggs when I can. I don't have any other chickens so they'll definitely remain as they are. I am avid in supporting rare and heritage breeds so these are right up my alley.
1f60a.png

You're welcome, and thanks for the reply. I'll have to check out Whipoorwill Farm. :eek:) I really like what I've read about Icelandics. Based on what I've read, they must be the hardiest chicken breed on the planet.

I agree Michael, I've also read they are the greatest escape artists. More information available on the "Icelandics," thread.

Nice to meet you Joan. Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock. You may be interested in the "''Jest another day in Pear-A-Dice." thread started by Tara, who among other things has Jacob's sheep, chickens, duck, geese, swans, cattle dogs, and I think a Llama among others.

Back
Top Bottom