1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from NW (Toledo) Ohio!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ToledoClucker, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ToledoClucker

ToledoClucker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Hello BYC community! I have been lurking around the site for a few weeks now and decided it was high time I join. I currently live in Toledo, OH with my fiance and her two children (9 and 8). I am contemplating raising some chickens, both as a hobby and also as a source of fun for the kids. I don't think my fiance is too thrilled about this, but hopefully time will change her mind :)

Does anyone know where I can find some direct information relating to the legality of raising chickens within the city limits of Toledo? I am receiving conflicting information - some sources say that up to 10 hens are allowed, others are saying that you have to have an approval from the State Health Inspector first. I just dont want to get in any legal battles over a few chickens, so if anyone has any information, please let me know!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to learning more about this interesting hobby!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. PamelaTX

PamelaTX Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    Howdy from Texas! Like you I lurked for a while and am still learning a lot here!! I still haven't built my coop or bought chickens yet but I have the coop designed and have begun to collect materials. I hope to begin the project in earnest in the next few weeks and to have chickens by the springtime. I look forward to seeing you here. Welcome!![​IMG]

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC from Western SD. [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Take a look in the chicken laws and ordinance section. That may be of some help. [​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
  7. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello from Southwest Ohio

8. ToledoClucker

ToledoClucker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Hello! I am aware that I have to follow my city ordinances, my question concerns getting a definitive answer on the legality of raising chickens within Toledo city limits. I have searched for hours, and I am finding conflicting information (some sites say up to 10 hens, others say with a written variance from the health inspector, and still other sites say not allowed). I have tried calling the Mayor's office, and expectedly, they sound a little shocked and transfer me to someone with whom I leave a message yet never get a call back. Hence, I was just curious if anyone had been through this and had some concrete info. I guess I'll keep searching and thanks for all of the great replies!

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by