Hello, from NY's Hudson Valley

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bluezman, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Bluezman

Bluezman New Egg

Nov 12, 2011
    Hi, [​IMG] my name's Charlie and I picked up 6 Golden Comets last March. I built a tractor for them and now I have the same problem I had almost 40 yrs. ago before I gave up keeping birds. the problem is, I've spoiled them horribly with too many treats and attention.

Every morning I find myself making coffee for myself and putting together some kind of treat for their breakfast before I even let them out. I've even gone on web sites looking for treat recipes for these spoiled rotten girls.

What am I to do? As soon as I open the back door they run and flatten themselves against the wire begging and whining (can chickens whine?) for a tomato or some oatmeal, even an old crust of bread. You'd think they were starving, except for their crops sticking way out and their over sized butts.

But, there they are, just crying: "Oh, pleeease! [​IMG], give me something good to eat, [​IMG] pleeease! " I'm running out of ideas. I've thought more than once about giving them Stove top Stuffing [​IMG]. Anyway, just popped in to say hello. [​IMG]

2. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I come to believe that my reason for being to feed animals. It gives me so much pleasure. If you look at the link of what you fed your chicken today you will get some ideas--no doubt. Welcome to the joy of chickens.

3. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    My chickens are the same way! They run to see what I've brought them and then snub me when they see I'm empty-handed. Their latest "treat" has become some powdered feed I picked up at the local hardware store. POWDERED! My girls want substance, not dust, so I heat up some water, add an equal amount of the powder, let cool, and run it out to the coop in their "treat" bowls. I can't get the stuff on the ground fast enough!!

And I only have 49.5 pounds of the stuff left. UGH!

Enough about me. Welcome to BYC and thanks for sharing with us!

4. Bluezman

Bluezman New Egg

Nov 12, 2011
    Thanks, for the welcomes, ideas, and the treat thread, which I, no doubt will glean clean, do to the unquenchable desire of my birds to eat the world in one sitting.
    Charlie

P.S. I just thought of an appropriate sign to post on their coop: "Hey, you gonna eat that?"

5. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    No doubt you have come upon comments from people who wonder how long it would take their carnivorous beasts to eat them if they fell down and blacked out in the coop. Personally, I'd give them about 10 minutes.

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello Charlie, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG] GEEEEEeee cottage cheese, cooked rice?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us!

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] Welcome [​IMG]

9. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] From North Texas [​IMG] So glad you joined us [​IMG]

10. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed