Hello from NZ!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kimem, Jan 4, 2017.

1. kimem

kimem New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Hello everyone,

I have found so many helpful threads on this site to help me with caring for my chickens so far (4 months in) but I've decided to join and see if anyone would like to give me their opinion on the sex of my 3 month old lavender araucana. I have thought female and haven't heard any 'cock-a-doodle' crowing but this bird is very cheeky and has started to stand tall so I'm worried she may be a he!

Thank you, Kim. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. kimem

kimem New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under kimem [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I am not good at gender and have enough trouble picking by own youngsters sometimes. If you do not get an answer here, you might want to try posting some pictures on the ‘What Breed or Gender is This’ Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

You might also want to say hello on your local thread:https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. kimem

kimem New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Thank you for your reply and helpful tips!

Usually I have only found my way onto the site via google searches for specific things and I am only using the mobile version at the moment so I will have to do some browsing on the computer later to try and get a better idea of what to post where.

Thanks again [​IMG]

5. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hello Kimem! Welcome to Backyard Chickens. 3 months old I think the comb and wattles would be larger so I'm going to say female.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. Great advice from Teila, so i will just say hi.

Best wishes
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]You can also post your photos at "what breed or gender is this," to get more opinions

8. kimem

kimem New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    That's another thing I was looking out for Flock Master64, thanks for your input. I'm not incredibly worried about it just more curiosity. Will certainly find out at some stage if the neighbours complain. We aren't allowed to keep a roo here in town is the main thing.

Hello and thank yous to everyone :)

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hope it's a girl!

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, kimem, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! :cd