Hello from Oakland, CA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rotarynaturecenter, Mar 25, 2011.

1. rotarynaturecenter

rotarynaturecenter New Egg

Mar 25, 2011
    Hi there everyone!

My name's Alexa and I work at the Rotary Nature Center at Lake Merritt in Oakland, CA. We're part of the Oakland Parks and Recreation Department and oversee America's FIRST wildlife refuge located at Lake Merritt - it turned 141 years old a week ago! We have many abandoned domestic ducks at our site, which includes two large outdoor ponds viewable to the public as part of the wildlife refuge and five bird islands out on the lake.

While the majority of the birds around us are not domestic birds (pelicans, black crowned night herons, american coots, canada geese, egrets, etc) we also have a couple mixed domestic duck breeds. We have a two muscovy ducks (one's a hybrid), 2 recent cayuga ducks that showed up, two feisty pekings and a misc. assortment of duck hybrids, some of whom are possible domestic hybrids.

As our supervisor is Oakland's only City Naturalist, we're often called out to pick up abandoned animals and often it includes domesticated ducks and chickens. I've only been with the Nature Center for a few months, but my very first on-the-job rehoming involved an araucana chicken that the owner couldn't keep any longer. I found her a new home on a 100+ acre farm in Livermore.

We recently picked up an abandoned chicken, possibly a Rhode Island Red rooster? When looking at photos of Rhody hens and roosters... our chicken is a little hard to tell just by looks. We believe it may be close to full size? But, as we heard what sounded like crowing, we think we have a rooster on our hands. We believe someone trimmed it's tail feathers since they seem to have been disturbed a bit.

I'll be posting to the identification section once I have enough posts that I can include photos/links since I'm brand new on the board.

I'm also here for just general information on backyard chickens and ducks (breeds, techniques, coops, etc) since I'm hoping have some at home at some point.

Anyway... hellooo!

Alexa
    (lives in San Leandro, CA - works in Oakland, CA)

2. dreamer4217

dreamer4217 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Riverside CA
    Welcome to BYC Form SO. CAl I am a former Bay arean and loved spending time at your refuge with my kids and husband it was one of our favorite places in the bay area and the bee hive was always fun trying to find the queen. it sparked my interest in chickens and birds in general. Your lake merit Refuge is some were I have taken many people and in a lot of cases it is the only time children in that area have a chance to experience such a wonderful time with the birds they live with all the time. what you are doing for the birds and the people in the community is amazing

3. rotarynaturecenter

rotarynaturecenter New Egg

Mar 25, 2011
    Quote:Wow, thank you so much! I'm so glad to hear your family loved coming out to the refuge. It's a great location for urban youth and families to really experience some wildlife - it's in the middle of an urban city! Finding the queen bee is always a great, but sometimes challenging activity. I love that we might have sparked your interest in chickens and birds, it's always amazing to hear those stories.

Thank you so much for the great welcome! If you're ever back in the Bay Area, feel free to stop by! [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from John in Ohio [​IMG]

7. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    [​IMG] Welcome from BC, Canada [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana

Hope you can find all the information you need!! [​IMG]

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

10. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Nice to meet you. [​IMG] from Ocala, FL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by