Hello from Oakland, California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WickedOne, May 23, 2012.

1. WickedOne

WickedOne Hatching

May 23, 2012
    Hi - I just joined. I have 2 blue-laced wyandottes, a red sex-link, a buff orpington, a light sussex, and a swedish flower hen. It's been all fun & fresh eggs until recently. One of my wyandottes is broody. Since we aren't allowed roosters here in Oakland, I ordered some fertile eggs by mail for her to sit on. Recently she's started going nuts whenever I put fresh food/water in the cage, flinging bedding all about, burying the food and water, and damaging her eggs. Now there are only 4 left out of a clutch of 7. Is she nuts? I'm being as unobtrusive as I can be. I'm not sure what to do to keep her calm. Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Can you shield her view from the water and feeder while you fill them? Sorry I can't be more help. :bow

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Crowing

Jan 12, 2012
    Hmm, does she have mites? It is starting to be mite season, so check under her wings, fluff, and tail coverts (and blow) to look for the creepy crawlies. If she does have lice or mites, you can buy some Adams Flea and Tick spray and spray her parts, on a non windy day.

Welcome to BYC! We're glad to have you! [​IMG]

5. WickedOne

WickedOne Hatching

May 23, 2012
    Mites? Ew. That sounds gross. And I know it would make her furious for me to pick her up now. I'm just going to sprinkle some diamtomaceous earth in her cage. I'm not sure if I can fit a blind into her cage. I'm wondering if I should just leave the door open (the cage is in a large laundry room) and leave new food and water outside, and let her choose to leave the cage when she feels like it. She seems really hungry - she still eats mealy worms from my hand. I'm wondering if she's concerned that any food in her cage is a contaminant, or if she's so hungry she's trying to uncover any grain or crumble.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I just I'm not the only one this has happened to. I just started with chickens last fall. My husband thought it was crazy, but he built a fab coop, and now he proudly sells the eggs at his workplace.

6. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Songster

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Could she be feeling threatened? My friend, who breeds rabbits, said that if a mommy rabbit feels threatened she will eat her babies. Maybe it is the same thing? Maybe try putting further away from her, so she will have trouble getting her bedding in her feed and water.

[​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Change the food and water after dark.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    [​IMG] Good luck with your hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: