1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TERRY4, Mar 8, 2012.

1. TERRY4

TERRY4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    Hello. I don't have chickens yet but will, if the Hubby has anything to say about it. Lol..

Terry

2. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BackYardChickens.

3. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    [​IMG] from a fellow Ohioan! Glad you found the site before you have chickens! Be sure to mill around and read a lot! Everyone here is really nice and if you can't find an answer to your question don't be afraid to ask!

4. TERRY4

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    Thank you crazy. I am glad to find this place. I had chickens when I was a kids, but it was just the easter peeps, that are all roosters. Lol.. A few farms ended up with them over the years.

Now I'm in the country and may get some. Not sure yet. With our winters it kinda scares me to get any. I even worry about my horse keeping warm. Lol..

Terry

5. TERRY4

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    Thank you Deb. It's good to be here. Maybe I can now decide if this is something I want to do.

Terry

6. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    I don't think I would worry about the winters so much. There are several birds available that are great egg layers, and meat chickens (dual purpose) that do great in our crazy winters. If you go to the breeds section at the top of the page you can use it to discover different ones that do good in our climate. Although my birds have not arrived yet, I elected to wait to April 30th to get them because I don't want to have to keep the babies in the house, I am confident that by this next winter they will be fine in their coop.

Coop design is also something that is amazingly described on this site, and many people have submitted pictures and directions you can model yours from if you don't have something in mind yet. Just browse through the pictures and find one that looks like it will work for what you may want. You can always ask the owners questions about it too!

Also, you can go to the Ohio section under Forum > social > Where am I? Where are you? and ask any questions you have from people in our area about what they do. You have no idea how much they can and are willing to help!

Congrats again on joining the site, I am sure that everyone here will be very helpful!

Bekah

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC, Terry. Glad to have you with us!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the BYC.

I had no idea where Jeromesville was until I googled it. Turns out, you're not too far from me in Coshocton. I have 53 layers/roos and they have been through 2 winters.... if this one counted, and have done fine without heat. I have 125 Freedom Ranger (Broilers) chicks being delivered tomorrow at 6 am. My brooder is a 5x8 trailer in the garage. I had a grow light and a 500watt work light that I used hatching and raising indoors, but didn't seem to put out enough heat so I bought 2 heat lamps $10.00 for 2 bulbs, and $20.00 for 2 clamp on fixtures. In the mornings it was 27 degrees and the heat was right about 90. In the afternoon it climbed to 65 and the thermometer melted. I will have to keep an eye on that.

Anyhow, welcome.

Shawn

10. TERRY4

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    Thanks for the tips Sahwn. Thing is, we don't like running heat lamps. They raise the bill, and are dangerous. Guess we would IF we had to. That's one reason we don't want to raise any right now. We probably will get about 4 laying hens to start {teenagers}, so we don't have to mess with chicks. I have enough to do, so don't need something extra right now. When just having chickens gets to be old hat, we may do things other ways.

I used to raise pygmy goats. I have 2 left from that time. One is pretty old, Angus. I am looking for a pygmy wether, not old or too young, to replace the old one before he passes. I don't want the other one to be left alone. Yes, my horse and a cat are in there. But I do trailer my mare places and ride, so he'd be alone.

If anyone in Ohio has a spare wether that meets my requirements let me know. Oh, no horns please.

Terry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by