Hello from Ohio!

bockbockbegawk

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 28, 2014
Ashtabula County, OH
We just bought our homestead and inherited a flock of chickens along with it. Six Rhode Island Reds and a white chicken whose breed I don't know.
Here's a funny anecdote from last night: I didn't know if the chickens would go back to their coop at night on their own and ended up chasing them around trying to herd them back in for almost a half hour before giving up and calling their previous owner! So relieved to find that they don't need chased or bribed to go to bed.

LOL I wish I could have watched! ;) Hey if you do ever want them to go in early, just throw some cracked corn in there and they'll come running!

Welcome to BYC! I'm also in Ohio.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Most chickens will go into their coop on their own at night. If not, though, you could try chasing them in again, or throw some scratch or corn into the coop.

Good luck with them!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sometimes you need to lock them in the coop a few days to teach them where home is. It helps to leave a light on in the coop as they don't like to go into dark coops. And definitely, lure them in with some food just before roosting time. I do this every night. Teaches them to all gather in preparation to heading off to bed.

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

We just bought our homestead and inherited a flock of chickens along with it. Six Rhode Island Reds and a white chicken whose breed I don't know.
Here's a funny anecdote from last night: I didn't know if the chickens would go back to their coop at night on their own and ended up chasing them around trying to herd them back in for almost a half hour before giving up and calling their previous owner! So relieved to find that they don't need chased or bribed to go to bed.
welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us. When our hens were young pullets we found out quickly….you cannot catch a chicken. So sorry i didn't have a camera on when my DH went round and round our coop trying to catch a BR. She came back in on her own…and likely was laughing. If you ever do need to round one up…use treats they cannot resist, and they'll come to you.

Back
Top Bottom