Hello from OK!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by girlsmom00, Mar 28, 2012.

1. girlsmom00

girlsmom00 New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi everybody, I'm brand new to the world of chickens and just gathering information at the moment. I'm thinking of starting off with a handful of chicks, five maybe, probably Plymouth Rocks or Australorps. I have smaller kids, so I want something that's typically friendly and a good layer. Any advice for a newbie would be much welcomed. Ideally, I'd love only hens, but I understand how difficult that is-even with sexed chicks. I am loving all the coop photos on here! Now I just need to get one!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    [​IMG]Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan

There are sexed pullets available from some suppliers - don't buy Straight Run if you don't want roosters

3. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and Welcome! [​IMG] I have 2 Barred Rocks and 1 Partridge Rock. They seem to be good chickens. I've only had them a week now. My first 3 I've had for 5 weeks and they're 2 Frizzles and a Silkie. The Frizzles are real cuddly but probably won't be good layers. They love my kids. The Silkie is a bit of a spaz but I love him/her just the same. LOL

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined us

5. adrianis

adrianis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hey there from Hot Arizona! :)

I know that this site is reliable for supplying sexed chicks, several different breeds and even rare breeds! Go ahead and check it out. www.mypetchicken.com They have females. There's even an option in there for you to mix the breeds. Wow.

I think that it would be perfect for you also because you mentioned not only you want info on breeds that are nicer (that's something that they have) but mypetchicken.com, as a supplier ships quantities of chicks I believe from 3-5 to start out with. However, I heard that they were going to be able to send out 2 chicks starting this year.

Anyways, best of luck to you and yours, and an early congratulations on your new chicks.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. Glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by