Hello from Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Back2Roots, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Back2Roots

Back2Roots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi All,
    I'm new to chickens - at least to raising them myself. My father grew up on a farm, but he took a different career path after university, so my siblings and I grew up as city folk. Many of our relatives did have farms, though, and whenever we visited, one of my favourite things to do was hang out with the chickens.
    Every year for the past 20 years I have asked my DH "Can we raise some chickens?" and every year the answer has been a resounding "no". Then last autumn, suddenly the answer was "yes"! I was momentarily stunned, then elated: a chance to go back to [my] roots!
    So I got to work finding out as much as I could about keeping chickens: borrowing books from the library, surfing the Internet, etc. When I came upon the backyardchickens.com web site, I was thrilled. So much invaluable information on how to start and maintain an healthy flock, and so many like-minded people who are crazy about chickens! I've learned so much already, but know I have much more to find out.
    My husband and I live in a rural village on a 1/3 acre lot with our mixed breed dog. We hope to raise 3-5 chickens, and have narrowed down the list of breeds that would be suitable for us in our environment: Australorp, Faverolles, Ameraucana and Chantecler. Our immediate neighbours are fine with us having chooks, as long as we don't have roosters. Hopefully we won't have to deal with that eventuality, but if we do have to, I hope we will be able to re-home rather than dispatch.
    We have spent the winter finalizing our coop design, and work on that will start this week. We have also located local sources for feed and supplies, and hope to be all set up for our first flock of young pullets in the next few weeks.
    We are really looking forward to raising our backyard chooks, and happy to join the backyard chickens community!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. Back2Roots

Back2Roots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, Dawg53 - glad I finally took the plunge and joined. :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  4. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

[​IMG]

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined and good luck with your new chicks

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana! [​IMG]

7. melodynye

melodynye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Yale, Michigan
    Ah, well we're almost neighbors :>) Melody Nye here from melofarm.com in Yale, Michigan - just 30 minutes west of Port Huron. I too was a city girl with no farming background but wanted better food options. Meat chickens, egg laying hens then a few pigs has turned into an awesome farm with heritage Berkshire hogs and Light Brahma laying hens. If I could offer some advice on your breed choices - I'd not select the Americuna for a small flock. I love them, how they look and their multicolored eggs -BUT- if you want to introduce new hens later on Americunas can be absolutely brutal. They will pull feathers and blood new stock to the point of death. Your other 3 breed selections will do much better if you introduce new chickens later on.

Cheers!

8. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    Welcome from down here near Windsor Ont!

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by