Hello from Ontario, Canada

MommysHomestead

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Hi,

I've always been a country/farm girl at heart and when I was less than 6 years old I wanted to grow up and become a biologist/zoologist that people around the entire planet would know. A person like Jane Goodale, Biruté Galdikas, or Dian Fossey. (yes I had a thing for the great ape primates back then).

As I got older my love of animals and living things became a bit of an obsession. I would keep dozens of small animals (mainly insects and arachnids) in baby food jars in my bedroom hidden (or so I thought) from my parents *read: tried to hide them from mom and failed horribly*. I would study their breeding habits, yes I watched many male spiders get eaten by the females I had chosen for them, apparently I am NOT the animal match maker I believed I could be). I thought that once I was out of high school and finished my biology degree I would spend the rest of my years living in Africa, Asia or South America.

Then I had my children and all those well thought out plans fell into tiny little pieces. Pieces that I have yet to manage to pick up completely. Don't get me wrong, I love my children. There is "FarmChick" aka The Little Flirt, who is my 9 year old daughter. "FarmChick" has always been how she is. Me.. in a smaller version. Then there is "CityBoy" aka The Gamer, who is my 14 year old son that lives with his father (different father than FarmChick) in a tiny apartment in the city full time and visits when he has time through out the year. The Boss is my ex-husband, a great friend and The Little Flirt's Daddy. We currently live together on the 7 acre homestead.

We are trying to become completely self sustaining on just under 7 acres of rural land. We are owned by 3 Pot Bellied Pigs, 4 Pygmy Goats, 4 Embden Geese, 2 Rouen Ducks, 4 Barn Cats, 1 New Zealand X Californian Rabbit, 2 Welsh Ponies, 1 Morgan X Canadian Mare, 1 Quarter X Paint Stallion and too many Chickens (8 Brahma, 7 Silkies, 1 Buff Orpington, 13 Red Sex link Hens and 2 *unknown breed* Roosters). We also have 4 Chihuahuas, 1 Doberman Pinscher, 2 House Cats, 2 Budgies and a couple dozen tropical fresh water fish.

I blog at http://www.mommyshomestead.com about our life on the homestead, becoming self sustaining and the adventures to get there.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Very nice blog & congrats on your first Rouen egg of the year
thumbsup.gif

Thank you for the welcome. We are so excited about this year's Rouen eggs after having raised Drake and Duck up from day olds themselves and losing their clutch last year.

Thank you for the welcome. We are so excited about this year's Rouen eggs after having raised Drake and Duck up from day olds themselves and losing their clutch last year.

Back
Top Bottom