Hello from Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by meowoui, Aug 11, 2013.

1. meowoui

meowoui Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2013
    Beaverton
    Hello,
    My husband and I live in Beaverton Oregon my name is Karen my husbands is Leonard we have five cats and one dog. We have been wanting to have chickens for sometime now, my husband just built a top
    bar beehive later we will get the bees I guess bee season is over. Now I want to work on building a chicken coop and get some Rhode Island Reds and Leghorns unless that won't be a good match.
    Well it still be OK to get chickens when it starts getting cold here or do we need to wait until the Spring the cold here is not cold the same every year the most the temp. gets down to is around 25 but that could be just one day then warm again.

We are trying to get all this done before we go back to school in three weeks. Oh by the way did I tell you a farm:) is in the city.

Thank you for all your help.

Karen

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Karen, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Baby chicks need a certain amount of heat (95 degrees during the first week...decreasing by 5 degrees per week for about a month). By week 4 or so they have enough feathers they don't need much heat unless it's super cold. So, all that being said, you can get chickens at almost any time as you will be providing heat in their brooder, and some large hatcheries have good selections of chicks on into November. Here's the hatchery link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

On and I think those two breeds will get along fine - most do if you get them as chicks. I have 18 birds made up of 12 breeds and they get along.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site![​IMG]

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. elsiebb

elsiebb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Welcome! I'm in Corvallis. We got our first chickens last April. We have 6. :)

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. meowoui

Aug 11, 2013
    Beaverton
    We two Leghorn and two Rhode Island Reds. Two of them will probably be name Omlet:) and Scrambled): which they won't become just the eggs.

9. Alene16

Alene16 Just Hatched

Mar 7, 2013
    Vancouver WA
    Hi Karen, I live in Vancouver and started my flock the end of last January. I kept my girls in the garage until they were old enough and it was warm enough to go outside. Urban Farm in Portland is a great resource for all things chicken. They also have chicken classes!! Welcome and good luck

10. meowoui

Aug 11, 2013
    Beaverton
    Hi Alene,
    where did you get your chickens? My parents kept their chickens in the garage and had a heat lamp in the pen but most of them died, this was when they lived in Sisters Oregon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by