Hello from Oroville, California!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smithzoo100, Dec 27, 2009.

1. smithzoo100

smithzoo100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Oroville, CA
    Hi to everyone!! I have been lurking, reading, and learning quite a bit and finally made the time to register so I can ask questions and offer info on some of the stuff that I do know. I have had ducks almost all my life (HUGE thanks to my very patient parents who let me raise ducklings in my bedroom in the city!!) and we have had a "token chicken" since we bought our property 13 years ago. The "token chicken" has been someone's house-raised pet that didn't know what to do with her once she was full grown. This past Spring, I came up with the bright idea to raise some broilers and, in exchange for hunting rights, our hunting friend would process them. LOL!! We now have 27 roosters that will make great chicken 'n dumplings when we can get our buddy to take some time away from his new house [​IMG] . I started reading this forum in Meat Birds, ETC to see if I could do this on my own (HA! I've always had birds as pets, but we'll see...), then that led to more reading in other areas, then I found the Buckeye thread!! Had to become a BYC member to contact folks on that thread to see who has birds closer to me to start a Heritage Chicken project! Yes, it is addictive and I came to it from waterfowl and then, horror of horrors, discovered the other species links below all the chickens just today...sigh...LOTS more reading to do and pictures to enjoy!!

We also have a wide variety of other critters that share our 10 acres and our lives. Shortly after I got the broilers, I also got a bunch of Bantam Cochins that I adore! I sold off almost all the extras and really enjoy having them running around the yard on bug patrol. The plan was to keep 5 hens and sell the rest, but then I fell in love with 2 of the roos (& named 1), so plans changed a bit!! We also added a pair of Bourbon Red turkeys this year and a pair of Toulouse geese to my aging Toulouse girls who were lost after we lost our gander, Jack. Last year, we had added Muscovy ducks for fly control and I added a pair to them this Summer. Sold the extra Toulouse that I had bought with my pair, and all my extra Muscovy babies and mule duck babies (have a remaining Ancona from a previous rare duck project that was wiped out a couple years ago by a Great Horned Owl who raised TWO clutches on my birds) and the waterfowl paid for my turkeys. All in all, just keeping busy and outa trouble, and working on getting this place paying for itself again! That in itself is it's own story.... Our horses used to pay for my bird addiction, now it's working on being the other way around!! Currently the plan is to sell the extra Cochin pairs and roos, get a couple/three more Muscovy ducks, add to the Heritage turkey project, and locate Buckeyes in our area. Hopefully the following year, we'll be up to Holderread's to restart my Ancona and Australian Spots projects. I miss my ducks and we'll have pens safe from night air-raids soon!! Until then, it'll be Buckeyes here for eggs and meat.

To anyone who was curious, we have never eaten our ducks or geese, but I love to bake with their eggs and get a kick out of all the activity in the barnyard! We also have goats, llamas, a pot belly pig, 2 blue and gold Macaws, 2 cockatiels, a cranky double yellow head Amazon, too many horses (both miniature & full size), 4 cats, a Catahoula, a Border Collie, and a herd of miniature Dachshunds. The majority of the critters are rescues, but I do breed the Doxies (& show when time and money allows). Off to post on the Buckeye thread!! Happy Sunday to all!!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

Great Intro & congrats on joining

Imp

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] to you & your zoo, from Arkansas

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
  5. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

6. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Indiana.

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG]

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

this is a very addicting forum....and hobby.

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG]

[​IMG] I hope you had a wonderful Christmas .. and Happy New Year!

10. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC from The Pampered Pullets Farm in North Central Florida
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by