1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from our quail covey!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by violamama, Feb 6, 2016.

1. violamama

violamama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2016
    NW Oregon
    Hi I'm in Oregon.
    We just bought 11 Coturnix Quail and they're my first ag-type birds. We plan to have them out in a tractor coop in our yard & garden and for the eggs. This little flock is going to be very spoiled thanks to me lurking on the forums- so much great info here!

Looking forward to asking lots of questions and reading more.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - I'm glad that you have found this site useful and i hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

All the best
    CT

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    NFC has given you the best links - hope you find the information you are seeking Welcome to Backyard chickens.

7. violamama

Feb 6, 2016
    NW Oregon
    Thanks all! Thanks to all the quail threads I obsessed over (and the ones linked here!), we've had a very easy first few days of bird husbandry. They are working out perfectly for us and we're stoked to start building the tractor next.

Thanks again for all the welcoming- I really appreciate it!

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Great to hear things are going well...sounds like you're a natural at this!

1 person likes this.
  9. tabinal

tabinal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    I also have quail as of last summer. We loved the eggs when hen eggs were so high and our chicks were too young to lay. I'm hoping to hatch out enough to have for meat this year. Watch the boys. They will try to kill each other if you have too many of them. I went to feed mine one day and every boy but one was missing the feathers on the back of his head. He got to stay with the ladies and the rest went to the Bachelor quarters.

1 person likes this.
  10. violamama

Feb 6, 2016
    NW Oregon
    Hello again. I hope it's okay to re-introduce ourselves as chicken owners.
    Don't worry, we have our quail fat and happy in our garage in a brooder next to their nearly finished coop. The chicks are upstairs in one of the bathroom tubs in a storage bin brooder. We wash carefully in between.

We are total quail wussies and weren't able to cull the two too many Roos we had (I have a particularly sensitive 7 year old and felt no need to push him). Craigslist came to the rescue as somebody needed them for their covey of 10 females. Phew!

The quail will be in our back woods and the chickens in a garden coop. They're about 200 feet apart.

We're planning to try to join our local 4h after meeting some cute kids at an ag fair. We are interested in making some projects out of these birds. We are a little obsessed with them all. Chickens and quail are so different- even we as newbies see that.

Thanks in advance for all the advice I'm sure we'll need. So far I've read the deep litter, 4h, coop design stickies and several newbie threads. Did you know even the farm stores are using these forums when they need answers? I asked about coryza at our local wilco and she showed me pictures from a thread I had read here. You are helping more than just newbies!

So hello again, from our chickens and quail kept safely apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by