Hello from Oxxshire Farm!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by horsechicklc, Feb 20, 2014.

1. horsechicklc

horsechicklc New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    I am one of the owners of Oxxshire farm/creamery/bulk organic food store :) we are going to be getting chickens this year, we have had a lot of success with the silver laced Wyandotte's. that was... Until the raccoon came lol. But now that we are on the farm we are hoping for a better outcome :). We already have a chicken house. Any ideas about other types of chickens that would be good for us?

2. horsechicklc

horsechicklc New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    What a pretty chicken!!!!!!! :) I'm a little chicken crazy hahaha

3. horsechicklc

horsechicklc New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    What is a Easter egg chicken?

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Check out the BYC Breeds section for member reviews of a lot of breeds, the Henderson chicken breed chart also compares a lot of popular breeds. http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html Easter Eggers are a mixed breed that (hopefully) lays green/blue eggs, though some will lay pink/brown etc, most hatcheries sell them (sometimes as Ameraucana, an actual breed that lays blue eggs), they are usually good layers and nice all around birds. If you like Wyandottes, Sussex, Delawares, Australorps and Plymouth Rocks are similar breeds you might like.

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Beef up your coop/run security. Whatever predator got your birds will be back for more - doesn't matter what breeds you get. They all will taste like chicken.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Kelsie has given you a great link to a good chicken page. Good luck with your new chicken adventures and enjoy BYC!

8. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by