Hello from PA!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 1ADAM12, Jun 18, 2016.

1. 1ADAM12

1ADAM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Hey everyone my name is Adam and I am new here and to chickens. I have 10 hens total. 6 mixed variety of bantams and 4 golden comets.

We just bought our house a year ago and it sets on 3 acres. I converted a shed for the coop and it works perfectly!!!!

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Adam, congratulations on your new home and welcome to BYC.

3. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Adam that shed to coop transformation is sick! That was a very great idea and the coop looks great. Since you are new to chickens I will leave you the link to the most prominent learning area on this site our Learning Center a place with updated articles for old and new chicken raisers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center This is just a suggestion, but I think a lot of people will love that shed coop idea so I will leave you the link to our Coop Construction and Maintenance Forum so you can share that idea with our members https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates All the best of luck to you and your flock from PA!
    Justin [​IMG]

4. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    Thanks Justin! Only thing I wish I did differently was had a higher fence. Only reason why I didn't was because it would look odd with the way the shed was laid out and of course not easily moved lol. We have since let the chickens free range during the day so they don't use the yard much anyways.

I do need to put some bird netting over the top so when we are gone for the day they are contained. So here is a question. I have ten hens and 4 nesting boxes. Will that be enough?

5. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Adam I can assure you that 4 nesting grounds is plenty enough! I myself have 5 hens and they all share one nesting ground, so 4 nesting boxes can definitely sustain your 10 hens! I am happy you are enjoying BYC and that you are asking very good questions! I hope you and your flock are doing well!
    Justin [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Depending on what type of predators are in your area. You may want to raise the fence height and put a solid roof on it. It would also offer some protection from the elements, and also keep raptors OUT.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    I do have to make the fence taller as they already fly over. During the day we are letting them free range though so not sure if I should make the fence taller or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by