Hello from Petaluma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by unfetteredfox, Nov 10, 2015.

1. unfetteredfox

unfetteredfox Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2015
    Hi all, I'm Sheri, new to BYC forums and new to backyard chickens. I've been reading a lot on the forums and throughout the site and have learned a lot. Thanks to all of you who take time to share your knowledge.

I had a very sad day today as I realized one of my older hens was breathing, gasping, through her mouth. I came here and found some good ideas on clearing her nostrils and made a vet appointment, but when we wrapped her in a towel and put her in a box to take to the vet she suddenly wriggled, stopped breathing and died on the spot. It all just happened so fast. I even tried CPR but she was gone. I feel like a chicken murderer. I'm hoping that at the least I will learn something from this and do better in the future. :-(

Anyway, sadly that's my introduction to BYC. I hope to have better news to share in the future. Thank you all again for the great stories, info, etc. I have three hens left and hope, with your help, to keep them alive and well for a good long time!

2. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Sheri, welcome to BYC (I wish it were under happier circumstances).

I'm so sorry you lost your girl, that's always tough. It sounds to me you were doing what you could for her so please don't feel like you were the one that did her in.

If you have any questions about the other birds, feel free to post and ask for help. There are a lot of friendly and helpful members here that are always willing to give a hand.

3. unfetteredfox

Nov 10, 2015
    Thank you NorthFLChick, I truly appreciate that.

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I would not blame yourself. It sounds like you were doing all you could for her and were trying to help her.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Sheri and welcome to our flock. Sorry about your loss but as other members have said, you did all in your power to save her. "Where there's livestock, there's deadstock" - its never a pleasant experience to lose a bird, but the saying is very true I'm afraid.

Keep your chin up

CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry for your loss - you did say she was an older hen. Maybe it was just her time to go.[​IMG]

8. unfetteredfox

Nov 10, 2015
    Thank you all for the welcomes and support :) I have to hope it was her time and remember that our actions, though inept and unfortunately deadly, were made with the best of intentions. I will just keep on reading, asking and learning and hope to do right by my future chickens.

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi again. Your actions were neither inept, nor the cause of her death so please don't beat yourself up on that one. Keeping chickens is just like life - you learn something new everyday, and the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing!

CT

10. unfetteredfox

Nov 10, 2015
    Again, many thanks CTKen. Being new to this I am sure I'm overly-sensitive. As my rancher neighbor Kristine told me, "Girl, you gotta grow a skin!" I'm working on it ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by