Hello from Peterborough Ontario

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eatmorechicken70, Dec 11, 2009.

1. eatmorechicken70

eatmorechicken70 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Greetings everyone,

I believe this is the 4th forum I have registered to - this has been a blast meeting all the nice chicken people out there!!! So much information to digest - I am a chicken sponge that's for sure.

My wife and I are looking to start up some chickens next spring. For now we are researching coop style and design, ventilation, predator protection and of course favorite chicken breeds [​IMG] Favorite breeds at the top of my list thus far are Welsummers, Buff Opringtons, Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, and the Chantecler (canada's only heritage breed). Oh who am I kidding - I like them all. LOL.

Our local farm supply companies deal with a regional hatchery (Frey's) - we are trying to decide whether to start with ready to lay pullets (only option is Red Stars), or whether we will raise from chicks. Immediate thought is to start with 3-4, then add different breeds as we go along. As far as shed style - would love to build a gambrel-barn style coop with lots of headroom and options for high roosts, upper storage and lots of venting.

Anyways - it is nice to meet others with great ideas. Coop designs and breed recommendations are always welcome!!

Steve aka eatmorechicken

2. Danceswithchicks

Danceswithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey [​IMG] !

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Welcome from Pennsylvania! [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Kerjack

Kerjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

This definetly a small world. I am from Peterborough, Ontario as well!

Which local farm supply are you using? (Wondering if there is more than one haha)

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Howdy and [​IMG]

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Welcome from Florida! [​IMG]

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

9. eatmorechicken70

eatmorechicken70 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Thank you everyone.

Kerjack - not sure if I would go with TSC, Co-Op or Boyles. TSC would be closest but not that any of the 3 are far. Which one do you use?

10. Kerjack

Kerjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I went with Boyles as my boyfriend has dealt with them before and likes them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by