hello from Polk County, FL

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by sentinelchicken, Nov 10, 2013.

1. sentinelchicken

sentinelchicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    central Florida
    I am plotting and planning my coop design, trying to reuse/recycle as much as possible. I have been checking out floorplans and examples on here and other sites. I have noticed that most of the photos of people's coops are pretty enclosed, with maybe a window or two and vents, but solid walls. Do you find that works in our climate?

My plan is to enclose an area under balcony and stairs of our two story workshop. Dimension will be about 6' deep, 5' wide' and 8' tall. I was thinking of using a screen door (reinforced with hardware cloth) but am now wondering if that's too breezy?

I am starting with two chickens but will have no more than 6 eventually. I will have a covered run of about 120 square feet.

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    When the weather is warm - I'm sure they will love the breeze but, they will need a area that is draft free when it gets cold. I would think a tarp could serve that purpose in FL. They handle cold much better than they do heat so, plan as much shade as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by