Hello from Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Markhup, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Markhup

Markhup New Egg

Oct 14, 2014
    Hi All,

I am a new BYC member looking at having 3/4 birds in a shed and tractor setup at home, solely for some BY eggs. Any specific advice as to what breeds to consider, etc. would be hugely appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I'm not sure if BYC has a south African thread. You could put "south African thread" in the search box and see if one comes up. We do have members from there - they would be the best source of what is available in your country and what breeds do best in your climate. Our Learning Center is a great place to start for information on chickens. Also the "Raising Backyard chickens," forum is a great source.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Nice to see another SA member. There is a breeder with Australorps, RIR and some others not too far away from you, near Kidd's Beach:

http://www.quailbreeders.co.za

I'd recommend the Australorps as to be honest I'm not hugely impressed with his RIR... but if you're not fussy about quality and simply want them for eggs you will be happy with them. They are excellent layers.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

9. Markhup

Markhup New Egg

Oct 14, 2014
    Thanks for the warm welcomes and all the advice. I can't wait to get started.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The other members have given you some good advice and charts for selecting a breed. Another good chart to look into is found at http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/breed-list.aspx. Also, Murray McMurray has an excellent "chick selector" tool at https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chick_selector.html to help you determine which breeds are best for you. Just be sure and post on "show more characteristics." If egg production is your main priority, I would recommend Black Sex Links (Black Stars, Bovans Nera, etc.; I'm not sure what label they would be sold under in South Africa). They are hardy and friendly egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, typically churning out over 300 eggs per hen per year. If you prefer a standard breed (as BSLs are hybrids and will not breed true, so you'll have to reply your stock from a hatchery), then I would recommend Australorps. They are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours). They are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds, and (as Sumi pointed out), they are available in your area. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by