Hello from Portland, OR!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amandajean1014, Sep 25, 2016.

1. amandajean1014

amandajean1014 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Hi there! I'm Amanda from Portland, OR. My family and I recently got three chickens. We've raised them since they were chicks and they are about six months old now. Two of them started laying a month ago, but the ameracauna hasn't yet. Now my bantam Cochin is broody! Is it normal for a six month old chicken to do this? I'm not really sure what to do for her. Any advice from the chicken pros?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Amanda and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

Its not "normal" for a pullet to go broody so soon after starting laying, but its not impossible. Assuming your conclusion that she is broody is correct, then type "broody buster" in the search box, you will find links describing how to break broodiness.

Good luck
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some breeds tend to go broody often among them cochins, silkies, buff orps. etc. If you don't have a rooster, none of the eggs will be fertile, so she is wasted her time & energy. You can either get a couple fertile eggs to swap for hers, then she can hatch them and raise them OR you should break her broodiness. Some hens will go on much too long trying to hatch eggs that are duds, or rocks, or nothing at all - because their hormones tell them to.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi Amanda! Welcome to Backyard chickens! Please make yourself at home here. You have gotten solid advice from CT and Diva. I have a 2nd cousin that lives in Portland OR! You might like to pop on over to the Oregon page!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/48/oregon

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Amanda, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our flock! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

6. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Hi Amanda, welcome to BYC! I just spent 10 days in Portland area where my kids, grandkids, and grand-chickens live.
    You were given good advice to break the broodiness asap. You will find answers to every possible question on this site, both in the Learning Center and in the forum archives. Good luck on your venture.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Most chickens won't brood until after a year of age, but the real stubborn ones like Silkies and Cochins are often the exceptions.

9. amandajean1014

amandajean1014 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Thanks everyone! I will try some of the broody breaking tips. I noticed today that she pulled out all of her breast feathers, which I heard is normal.
    Wish me luck!

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by