Hello, from Portland, Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by whitjanis, Jan 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. whitjanis

whitjanis In the Brooder

Jan 21, 2019
    My family had chickens when I was very little and now I'm taking the steps to get my own. I have lots of wonderful memories of those chickens.
    I think I'm going to get Australorps. And maybe a couple other breeds. Presently looking for people with experience with Australorps, to make sure they are the right ones for me.

2. ChickenCowboy02

ChickenCowboy02 Predator Slayer

Howdy and :welcome
    So glad you decided to join our "egg-ceptional" community! :jumpy

Australorps are a GREAT breed, they've been the sweetest chicken I've ever had. And great egg layers too. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. :)

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Unfortunately for me, my BA is the most skittish girl I have. But she lays well especially this winter.

4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

5. Trux

Trux Songster

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
  6. BReeder!

BReeder! Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Plainfield, IL
    My Coop
    No experience with Australorps. Nice eggs from what I know about them.

Welcome to BYC! You can definitely find information in the Reviews section on the Australorp breed.

7. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Welcome to BYC! I have wanted Australorps, but have never had them.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I like Australorps - they may tend to be broody depending upon the strain.

9. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Welcome to BYC from Western Washington. We've been getting a lot of new members from Oregon lately, so you've got lots of folks who raise birds in a similar climate to yours on this website.

I do have some experience with Australorps, and I think they are a great breed. Usually they are excellent layers, and they are pretty calm but not sluggish, as some breeds can be. If you start with chicks, spending lots of time with them and handling them some can tip the odds in your favor that your birds will be friendly, if that is what you want.

10. Coop Z-ville

Coop Z-ville Songster

Jun 25, 2018
    Zionsville, Indiana
    Welcome! I have 2 Australorps (Winn and Dixie) in my small mixed flock . I love them! They are my most outgoing chickens, running to greet me and stay to chat! They always seem to have something to say, are not fussy eaters, great layers of large to extra large brown eggs, and just a lot of fun. I can always count on them for a chuckle. They love attention and love to be held. I would definitely get this breed again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: