Hello from Prince Edward County, Ontario

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by scottishpet, Jan 18, 2018.

1. scottishpet

scottishpet In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2018
    Glad to have found this form, love learning more about Chickens. We are in the process of building our new house on the farm and chickens will be added shortly. Mostly interested in Heritage Breeds.
    Cheers All!

2. N F C

N F C no time like snow time

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

What a beautiful dog in your avatar! Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, always feel free to ask...everyone is here to help one another.

Thanks for joining us!

3. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    Welcome to the site..:welcome

4. Stayc

Stayc Crowing

May 18, 2017
    Keysville Virginia
    Hello:frow and welcome to BYC!:weei agree that dog in your avatar is gorgeous :love.

5. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! :woot We're all glade to have you here~
    I would love to see how your house is coming along, Must be exciting building a new house! Our flock of poultry are mostly heritage breeds so When you do get into adding chickens I would suggest getting either Jersey Giants, Buff orpingtons, Buckeyes, Barred rocks, Andalusians, and/or Rhode island reds.. All are great laying heritage breeds~

6. scottishpet

Jan 18, 2018
    Thanks NFC...there is lots of good information on the site. The dog is my Rory, he is an ex-racer, and my buddy. He is amazing and after he arrived he soon has became my unofficial service dog. I get cluster migraine...really sucks because I can't see and often can't speak when I get one. Rory soon started alerting me to when I was going to have an attack...so I love to keep him with me. He tells me when it is safe for me to drive or not. So far he has never been wrong or let me down in the three years he has been doing this and it has changed my life!

7. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Free Ranging

Jan 18, 2017
    Middle Earth
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to BYC! So glad you could join us!!! :ya

~Meg :D

8. scottishpet

Jan 18, 2018
    Millers Farm many of the breeds you mention are on my hit list. I am interested in the Black Australorp and Brahmas...but don't know if they are good choices or not. I really want a few Buckeyes if possible and i was told the Dorking tastes exceptional. I hope to have a mixed egg flock but would love to narrow down to just a couple of breeds and eventually try to do some breeding...but baby steps before the marathon might be a good idea.

9. N F C

N F C no time like snow time

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Pets are amazing that way! I know a guy that has problems with his blood pressure and his cat warns him when it's starting to drop.

10. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Australorps are a great heritage laying breed as well, For the brahmas, they would make great meat birds, But their egg production isn't the best if that's your main goal, If you're looking for looks and great egg production I would strongly suggest the Partridge plymouth rock, They have beautiful colors, are a great egg laying breed, and are very meaty as well, Just not as much as the Brahma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: