Hello from Rainy Humboldt County California

Cindy A

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Hello to all of you egg and chicken helpers here at BYC, I have no chickens yet, well that's not necessarliy true, I picked up one little chick at our local feed store yesterday, and today, the little thing died, my son is very upset(he's 14), so I am picking up some new chicks next Friday at another feed store, I have learned already, never take just one, it was the last one tho. Hopefully this time I will be successful in raising them to go out to the coop at least. Thanks will be checking in on a regular basis. Cindy

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Make sure you are brooding these little babies. They need to be started at 95 degrees the first week and the temp dropped by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks. (thermometer placed in the floor directly under the lamp) Use an infra-red heat lamp on them. Lay down paper towels the first few days and sprinkle feed around the feeder on the floor so they can find the feed, (you can remove the towels when you think they know where the feed is kept) and dip everybody's beak in the water when you first put them in so they know where the water is. Don't use cedar shavings or chips. You can use pine shavings, grass hay, or even on wire.

Good luck with your new babies and enjoy BYC!

Last edited:
Thank you for the good advice,m I have pine shavings and a fount and feeder and lamp ready when we get the new ones in, I think that it was having the brooder in the garage didn't help things at all,so next time I am using the mud room, husband or no husband, the draft in the garage was way too much.

Thank you for the good advice,m I have pine shavings and a fount and feeder and lamp ready when we get the new ones in, I think that it was having the brooder in the garage didn't help things at all,so next time I am using the mud room, husband or no husband, the draft in the garage was way too much.
Yes, the garage is going to be way too drafty. Drafts kill babies very easily. Make sure where you keep them is also heated. Don't cover the lid of the brooder with anything but a screen or wire for good heat and oxygen exchange. And use a brooder like a cardboard box or plastic tote. No open sides or open floors.

Good luck with your new babies!

Back
Top Bottom