1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Rhode Island :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kalani, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Kalani

Kalani Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Coventry RI
    Hi; I'm Kathy from RI. I am 32 years old and married with 3 kids, the youngest of which is almost three. We homeschool our two older girls. We live on a small city lot with the legal limit being six (and no roosters) and anticipate getting a small coop and a few chickens this year.
    I honestly wish I had anticipated wanting chickens when buying my house but it will be in consideration when we finally move out of state.

I am hoping to get chickens by the end of April. (planning on going across state borders to get chicks... RI has a minimum purchase of 12. It defies logic that you can only own 6 but are forced to buy twelve...not to mention that the tractor supply store orders straight run in a town that roosters aren't allowed.)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Kathy, welcome to BYC. Good luck in establishing your flock.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Hello Kathy, and welcome to BYC! :frow

It is lovely that you are interested in keeping chickens. I'm sure your children will benefit from the experience as well.

Massachusetts is right next door and has a minimum of 6. However, the minimum for ducks is 24! (Figure that one out! Because I can't!)

Good luck to you!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Kalani

Kalani Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Coventry RI
    Thank you!
    Lots of suggestions from our local homeschool community (a lot of chicken keepers) and I have chosen Fleming's Feed in Preston CT based on the pullets that they have. :) (We are central RI so had both states open to us.)

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Kathy, it's nice you joined us and congrats on the upcoming flock!

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello Kathy!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011

I'm glad you were able to locate a feed store. :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Kathy, very nice to meet you. I hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by