Hello from Roadsidefarm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Roadsidefarm, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Roadsidefarm

Roadsidefarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    Hey, there. I have be skulking around Backyard Chickens for over a year, but I figured that it was finally time to man up and join. I think I have always been interested in having chickens ever since my grandma had me collect eggs from her coop one time when I was little. I asked my mom that day if we could get chickens, but it was a flat out "no". My husband grew up with meat chickens and the occasional goose. So I guess we both had a desire to get chickens and when my daughter started showing interest, we got our first four hens--Easter Eggers. Unfortunately, I had misunderstood the city ordinances, so they only lasted a few months. However, it sparked a voracious hunger in my daughter for all things chicken (except for eating them). She has a chicken breeds book that she received for a birthday a couple of years back that is falling to pieces. She desperately wanted to move to the country so she could have chickens (she's decided that her life long calling is to be a chicken breeder) and last summer we finally did it. Since then, we have added bantam Dominiques, D'uccles, Jersey Giants, Australorps, Welsummers, and Favorelles along with two call ducks for my son and a Wyandotte roo that we were gifted.. We also tried meat chickens this summer for the fair and also showed several of our layers. Our poultry stock numbers somewhere around 25 currently.
    Most of my poultry knowledge comes from my daughter, but I am continuing to take time on my own to research. We are looking to breed our bantam dominiques next spring because my daughter is big on breed conservation. I am learning a lot and hope to continue to learn more from this site.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined us! I am happy you were able to make the move to a place where you could have chickens. And kudos to you for not letting the poultry passion dwindle on your daughter! Sounds like you have a pretty sophisticated flock! I wish you all the best. Enjoy your birds and BYC! :)

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. It's so nice when the whole family gets involved

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Greetings and welcome to our community - i hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by