Hello from Salt Lake City!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CSWolffe, Jun 9, 2011.

1. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Well, not quite Salt Lake City, We're in the smaller and not quite so metropolitan(end sarcasm font) South Salt Lake City. Chicken ordinance is being passed as we speak, and my chicks will soon be legal! We used to have this sort of informal permission, lots of people around here keep hens, and Animal Control has never really bothered anybody. But now when my jerk neighbor complains, they CANT do anything! Mwahahahaha!
    So, I'm an unemployed carpenter, a stay at home-dad and an aspiring writer of science fiction and fantasy novels. I love to cook, and am in the process of building a brick barbeque and a wood-fired pizza oven. Having the construction skills that I do, I tend to over do things(who has a wood-fired pizza oven? C'mon!). I've had the coop planned out in my head for over a year now, had a nice empty spot in the garden where it was going to go, waiting for its turn. Right next to the compost pile, which has been eagerly waiting to feast on some nitrogen rich chicken poo!
    I found some cold hardy breeds, and picked my four favorites: an SL Wyandotte, a Golden Sex-Link, A RIR and an Australorp. My plan is to start with four hens, and in a couple years when egg production drops off, add two more hens, probably a Speckled Sussex and a Barnevelder. I kept pigeons as a teenager, so I'm totally new to taking care of birds and their needs, and my wife is a farmer's daughter(if you ever have the opportunity, marry a farmer's daughter!)
    I fell in love with the taste(and the idea) of fresh eggs when working for my cousin who keeps two dozen hens. He sent me home with some extras, and I was hooked. I like the ideas of Permaculture and being a LocalVore.
    I believe our society has an enormous disconnect between our food's source and our plate. I want my children to know where their food comes from, from the garden and the coop, not from plastic packages at the grocery store.
    And now that my pullets are getting settled in to their new home(about four weeks old, so still on heat for a while), I have discovered bee keeping... I need a job before all these new yummy hobbies take over my life...

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] from Indiana! And [​IMG] for legal chickens!!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

5. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Hello and Welcome to BYC from South Carolina! Sounds like you are keeping yourself busy! It's a good thing you have those carpentry skills though, because once bitten by the chicken bug, it quickly grows to an addiction and you will find yourself building more and more. This past year we started with 5 and now have.. ( counting) 36! You will also learn a new type of math called chicken math [​IMG] It's the best math there is and you will read about it often around here.
    if you get a chance post pictures! We all love pictures!

6. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

8. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Welcome to BYC! If you follow your plan and wait to increase your flock, you're a man of great self control! Chickens are ridiculously addictive.

9. ChickyD

ChickyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    NH
    [​IMG] from NH [​IMG]

10. ChickyD

ChickyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    NH
    [​IMG] from NH [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by