Hello! From Sanford, NC...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thaifighter, Mar 1, 2015.

1. thaifighter

thaifighter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    Brand new to raising chickens. Just getting ramped up. Looking forward to learning from the folks here.

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! We're glad to have another member to the growing poultry community! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'm sure you'll find answers to them here! [​IMG]Enjoy your flock!

3. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC!

Have you gotten any chickens yet? If so what breed? I remember when my family first started we got golden laced wyandottes and now we've changed over the years to Old English Game bantams and Dutch bantams. Hopefully Runner ducks this year too.

A lot of people on here (I couldn't tell you who wasn't) are super friendly and will be more than willing to help you with any questions you have because we probably have experienced it before.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

I suggest taking a look at the Learning Center if you're new to chickens: Learning Center Articles It has lots of helpful information and answers to questions.[​IMG]

7. ScenicViews

ScenicViews Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    Welcome! I have learned so much from this site! I hope you will too! Everyone is so VERY helpful! Thanks Gang

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. thaifighter

thaifighter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. We just got back from Tractor Supply. We picked up 15 chicks that turned out to be 16. They are all supposed to be sexed pullets. Allegedly, the breeds are: RIR, White Rocks and Americaunas or a cross of AM.

We have them in a plastic bin with pine flakes that gives them about 6sq ft minus room for the feeder and waterer. I will be expanding that when I get home from travel on Thurs to a larger bin with some elevated dowel for roosting.

The little peepers seem to be happy and active and eating ferociously. We had to deal with 4 that had pasty butt, mostly the darker chicks (allegedly Americaua). We remedied that by running the plugs under hot water and gently breaking up the crud with q-tips. We then applied a bit of veggie oil on the feathers around the vent. We have also added a tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar to a qt of water to hopefully prevent recurrence.

I have been keeping an eye on them to see if they are gathering away from, or close to the heat lamp. So far they seem active in all areas so I assume the temps are comfortable. I am guessing due to the appearance of new feathers that they are 1-2 weeks old.

We got 15 assuming an 80% survival rate to adulthood. We hope they all make it, but we are new at this and are prepared for a learning curve. I have plans for an 8x8 coop. I hope to build most of it from recycled pallets from where I work. There will also be a run that permits 10 sq ft per adult bird. We have space to free range them under supervision and have an ample veggie garden that has deer fencing we will let them run in as well.

It begins:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] sounds great you are well on your way ... chickens bring a lot of joy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by