Hello From SE Florida!

jlwquilter

Songster
Apr 30, 2019
West Palm Beach FL
Hi Everyone! I am so excited to be here and to re-start our chicken journey. We had a small flock (5) Novogens 2.5 years ago for about 7 months... predators got them after a break in our security. It was so sad and upsetting we took a loooong break. But now we are back in it full force. Too full force! I’ve already had a serious case of chicken math :lau and have several issues I’m struggling with. I’ve been reading on here every chance I get, which is why its taken me this long to post my intro.

We have a mixed flock - RIRs (5), BOs (3), Leghorns (4), a Sicilian Buttercup (1), Americana and/or EE (I have to figure that out yet) (2), Australorps (4), and Sapphire Gems (2) and Lavender Orps (2), Light Brahmas (2), Rhode Island White (1 - I’m pretty sure that’s what she is), no idea what breed/mix she is (1). So 27 total. A bit mixed age too... youngest is 3.5 months, oldest is ?? But probably around 14 months from what the previous owners said.

We added on to the first TSC coop several times to accommodate the flock additions but recently decided to build a walk in coop. We plan on using the old coop sections (we made them somewhat modular) for a hospital, a jail, and maybe down the road, a nursery.

I’ve been reading the DIY thread (awesome ideas!), the coop building thread (ditto), and the chicken issue threads (very helpful!). But I have so many more more questions :). I am so hoping to draw on all of the expertise here to get me back on track and get things settled down and running much more smoothly that it’s been the past several weeks. And I hope to be able to give back in any way I can too!

Thank you so much for having me!
Jlwquilter

Hello and welcome to BYC and your return to chickens. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link above. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Thanks for the warm welcome! I’ll definitely check out the link to see who is on BYC near me! It’s so helpful to get links as I’m flailing around the site a bit trying to find info, although I use the search function A LOT.

The TSC was for the first try of 5 novogens. Days later even us total newbs knew it was too small for even them. And so we built an add on which doubled the size. That worked well. We used the 2 units this time until we got over 8 hens. Then we added another extension. Got several more ladies and added another temp extension as by then we realised we had to rethink the whole operation.

Of course I have pics of the girls and the coop build in progress :D :lau! I’ll start the coop thread just as soon as I can. Where would I post pics of the girls? I’ll definitely post Lily in the what breed is this forum as she’s the one I don’t have even a guess about.

Oh and when I say operation I don’t mean a business. We are doing this for fun and eggs. We live semi-rural and I’ve already talked to several of the surrounding neighbors about bartering stuff when we can. I’m the only one with hens right now so eggs is a good barter item for me. IF I can solve my lack of egg issue :barnie

Anyway, back to chores :cool: . I just harvested some bananas, of which half were taken by the raccoons and/or possums. Sigh.

TTFN!

Back
Top Bottom