Hello from SE Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by anvi, Aug 19, 2010.

1. anvi

anvi New Egg

Aug 19, 2010
    Hello! My name is Vicki. My family (hubby and three kidlets) got our first chicken a year ago. It all started with a pet rooster for my son from his Grammy, appropriately named Rooster. Not sure of his breed, he has since passed on. [​IMG] We got three hens right after we built the coop (2 russian orloffs and a gray americauna). And then we went to a show in October and I found my beloved Silver Spangled Hamburgs, brought home two bantie hens and a full size trio. We lost one of the bantie hens and one of the regular hens earlier this year. [​IMG] So we decided to incubate some of the eggs when my MIL ran her incubator and we hatched 9 Hamburgs and then 3 more in the next run. Then a friend gave us a couple hens that survived when his flock was destroyed by a predator. And then, since we had fallen in love with chickens, we ordered 25 Silver Pencil Plymouth Rocks from a hatchery and are now preparing for the culling since they are 20 weeks now.

And that is how I found out I love chickens and collected over 40 chickens in our backyard, lol.

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

3. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    [​IMG] from ct

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG] Hey, I thought I was the only one to use the term,"kidlet". [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

6. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hello from another hoosier

7. hiker125

hiker125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Henryville
    I don't have chickens yet, but want them SOOO badly. Since I love in a subdivision with a HOA, I am looking for very quiet, very docile breed. I am thinking 3-4 pullets should be fine.

Does anyone have any recommendations for breeds? Also, since I am not all handy, I have been endlessly searching the web for a nice coop, preferably one that isn't too tall. I have a good size fenced back yard with a 7 ft privacy fence, so a breed that doesn't fly too much would be great. I would like an all weather layer, if possible. Any other things that I need to consider.

I have been lurking around this site for a while and I have to say that it is the absolute best out there. Great Job BYC! [​IMG]

8. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] from Maine!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by