Hello from SE Missouri

Hopalong

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Howdy from the Show me state!

We are totally new to chickens, though we have been a rural family for decades. This spring we thought it would be a fun project with the grand children to plan, build and populate a small coop.

Using the very helpful information from the generous users of this site, we (er, uh, hubby) built a lovely 8x8 coop and attached 8X20 run. We ordered our pullet chicks and in the meantime bought a few established layers and a boyfriend for them. The chicks lived in the cardboard brooder box, then graduated to an old water trough in the tack room, and now reside in our 2-horse enclosed trailer. They are nearly 5 weeks old and we think they are about ready to move to the "big house". We are debating how best to make the move, so any pointers would be very welcome!

I really have enjoyed watching the chickies grow and the grandchildren love to dig worms and feed them. It has been a good experience for us all. Hubby said the other day that he wished we had done this years ago, and I couldn't agree more!

I look forward to learning about this new hobby with help from other users of this wonderful site.

Hoppy

welcome-byc.gif
from Missouri and congrats on your new chickens.

welcome-byc.gif
from southwest Indiana!!

Are your adults already in the "big house"? If so then you will need to let them get to know each other through a fence. Otherwise, it is very likely that they will hurt or kill the young ones. Is there anyway to put up a temporary fence and just put the chicks out during the day for visits for a couple weeks? If this isn't possible, your best chance is to introduce them at night in total darkness. Sneak them in and put them on the roosts with the adults. This works for me most of the time but is never 100% foolproof.

Back
Top Bottom