Hello from SE PA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FarAwayBoy, Nov 21, 2013.

1. FarAwayBoy

FarAwayBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hi everyone,

Well, I finally decided to at least join up on BYC. I can't say my family and I will definitely be starting up our own little flock in the near future, but I have hopes for next year. Too many other projects around the house and yard this year.

I'm also a fan of learning as much as I can before going into or committing to something; especially if they involve living things! I know mistakes can and will happen, but to stave off the worst and make everything the best I can is my ultimate goal. I'm currently reading "Chick Days". What does everyone think of this book? I'm blaming finding this at a books sale at work for 50 cents for spurring on my interest in chickens again!

Anyway, I'm big into history, especially American history so have been reading up on Heritage breeds. I've browsed around The Livestock Conservancy website and am talking to fellow history dorks (hmmmm Dorkings maybe?) about breeds that were around in the19th century and before. Dominiques seem like a nice breed all round.

I know we won't be looking for chickens with high egg production and will probably only have a small flock of 3-4 hens. Already checked in with the township on restrictions, laws and ordinances. Luckily there isn't much to worry! Just how far to put a coop from the rear and side yard. Probably won't get a rooster, just to keep our neighbors happy neighbors (even though I'd bet they'll not blink an eye, they're awesome folks!).

Guess that's about enough for now.

Matt

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I can't comment on "Chick Days," as I've never read it. But, I've found tons of reading material on BYC to keep me busy.

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

5. FarAwayBoy

Nov 21, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the warm welcomes! I've been enjoying the book, even as just something to read in the evening. Just about done with it so I'll be on to more reading material soon!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  8. FarAwayBoy

Nov 21, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Haven't checked it out just yet Kelsie, thanks very much for the direct link!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Matt, welcome to BYC. Plan first - get birds later. That's the logical way of starting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by