Hello from shakey Christchurch, New Zealand!

eksterhuis

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 7, 2012
I'm rather new to this chicken fancying business, but have fallen head first! I'm Nicole who has just moved back to earthquake prone Christchurch in New Zealand after living in the city in the UK for the past 8 years...

I have a muddle flock of hens, about 6 hybrids called 'Brown Shavers' 4 Silkies, 3 Barred Rocks, 6 Faverolles, 5 Gold Laced Wyandottes, 2 Silver Spangled Hamburgs, 4 Rhode Islands, a couple of Pekins, a light Sussex a few mutts and some young roosters... Oh and tonight I gained 2 Silver Campine hens and a roo! Also have 2 Silkie broodies on a bunch of Faverolle eggs and another on a mix of Wyandottes, frizzles, bantams including some Sebrights! I'm sure I have forgotten a couple in that bunch!!! (Oh 4 Guinea Fowl and a Peacock!) At the moment I am just gathering chickens to start breeding as my roosters come of age!

Looking at breeding Silver Sebrights, Silver Spangled Hamburgs, Silver Campines, Silver Laced Wyandottes and Salmon Faverolles... Maybe Light Sussex with the intention of developing Ermine Faverolles!

Having just bought a Brindsea auto incubator my flock may grow rather rapidly!!!

Not bad for just taking over mum's flock of 25 egg laying chooks 4 months ago!

I am refered to as the 'Mad Chicken Lady' as many of you probably are also!!!

Yes you sound like a crazy chicken lady!!!
thumbsup.gif
Thats good for here i bet.
Im from the uk moved to australia 5yrs ago where in the uk were ya???

Manchester, at least we don't have to worry about foxes here!!! I am from NZ originally... It's great to be back into the countryside!

I am very excited about all of this chicken stuff... I love watching them grow up! Can't wait for my Silkies to hatch my Fav's and see their cute little fluffy faces!!! (hopefully I will have more luck with them than my previous broody who pooed on her eggs and they died in the egg :( and the one before that killed her chick and I ended up hand rearing her other two chicks, sort of why I want the incubator up and running!)

They're super cute! I was thinking of getting some ducks but I think I will stick to chooks for a while!
I took some of them at bed time the other day... bit of a crowded chook house!

The guinea fowl pick on the chooks a bit but are happy to sleep with them!

My 'teenagers' sleep together in the corner, rather cute!

My Wyandotte roo hiding in with the ladies!

I need to get some more photos! Especially of my broody hens!

welcome to the forum... and the addiction!
big_smile.png

you're living in the only place I might like better than where I am in SW Missouri...

Back
Top Bottom