Hello from SoCal!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jawsh, May 26, 2016.

1. jawsh

jawsh Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2016
    Hi everyone! I'm am a COMPLETE newbie to chickens but am super exited to have my brand new flock! I look forward to learning everything I can from all the amazing people on here.

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] How many chickens did you get, and what kind?

3. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    Welcome aboard, Cali resident here too up in Tehachapi so if u have any ?'s feel free to ask.

4. jawsh

jawsh Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2016
    Thanks guys!
    I got 11 chicks. 3 barred rocks(after tons of reading I think 1 is a roo), 2 wellsummers, 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 white leghorns, and 2 mystery chicks. I got the mysteries from a cute little farm I found. The owner said she was "hatching for egg color" so I'm hoping to get some baby blues or greens. The rest I got from my local feed store. Here are some pictures- the first 2 pictures are of the barred rock that I think is a rooster,thoughts? and the last 2 pictures are the mystery chicks. The brown one looks maybe to have wellsummer in it but I am just guessing and clearly I am but a very early beginner. The gray one I think is so pretty but have no clue what she is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    Nice little flock u got working there, as they get older give us updates.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

If you wish to know the breed / gender of your chicks, then post your pics on the What Breed or Gender is This? forum.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you.

All the best
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You have beautiful chicks. How old is the barred rock? You can post photos at" what breed or gender is this." Accuracy will be better if chicks are 6 weeks old or more at time of photos. I'm kinda leaning toward Cockerel myself.

9. jawsh

jawsh Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2016
    Thanks! He was about 3 weeks in that photo. But he is so much whiter than my other 2 barred rocks even this early. I did post a thread there I was just told to wait a while to see. so we shall see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by