Hello from Solvang, CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 4BFarm, Feb 19, 2013.

1. 4BFarm

4BFarm New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Hi- I have been a BackYard Chickens site lurker for a few months and finally decided to officially join. I got my chickens in July, 2012 when they were 10-14 weeks old. I have a Golden Star (Benedict), New Hampshire Red (Souffle), Easter Egger (Quiche) and a Barred Plymouth Rock (Frittata). I wanted chickens for the eggs and had no idea that I would enjoy having them so much!

I've had an injured and sick Barred Plymouth Rock for the last couple of weeks, but we're turning a corner. Her troubles started with an injured eye. She had it closed for a few days and I wound up taking her to the vet (actually, my 85 year old mother had to take her because I was running late! That was quite a sight!) The vet diagnosed an ulcerated cornea and prescribed an eye ointment which my husband and I put in her eye a couple of times/day.

At about the same time, she started twisting her neck upside down, closing her good eye and acting like she was dizzy. Having just spent over $100 on the first vet visit, I decided to try to find a solution on-line. I decided that she was suffering from vertigo. She stopped eating much but she was still drinking. After a week, she started to foam at the mouth, and my husband gently suggested that it might be time to put her down. Not being one to give up easily, I did some more research, some on this website, and found that it might be impacted or sour crop. I turned her upside down, massaged her crop, and a LOT of liquid came out of her mouth. She seemed to feel instantly better when I put her back down. I fed her bread crumbs soaked in olive oil and plain yogurt for a few days and put apple cider vinegar in her water bowl. After another week, she seems to be much better. She is eating well and joining the other chickens in the yard. She still isn't jumping up on her roost, but her vertigo seems to be almost gone. Sometimes, when I pick her up, she still turns her head upside down.

The worst is over, and we are all quite relieved. Has anyone had a similar experience with the vertigo? Any suggestions that I haven't tried?

Thank you.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. I don't have experience with chickens so I'm not sure what's going on but you might find some better responses in the Emergency section of BYC

3. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So lad to have you aboard. I have never experience it but I hope everything works out for your hen. :thumbsup

5. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    That's really odd, could she have a reaction to the meds? Is she still laying? I have two barred rock chicks so I'm hoping ur info will help me if needed later on. Can u do me a favor? Can u send me a giant steak from the Hitching Post? Lol. ;-)

6. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC. I had a silkie chick with similar symtoms of turning the head upside down and it was "wry neck". After a adding vitamins for a couple of weeks he made a complete recovery. Hope your girl continues to get better.

7. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from KY. So glad your chicken seems to be doing better!

[​IMG]

8. 4BFarm

4BFarm New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    It is, indeed, a small world. I have an aunt and cousins who live in Orcutt.

Thanks for your welcome!

9. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I bet I'd recognize ur last name. Has ur family been there a long time? My maiden name is Dowell

10. 4BFarm

4BFarm New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    She stopped laying when she started getting dizzy. I'll know that she's fully recovered when she starts again!

Sorry, but I don't think the steak would ship well! ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by