Hello from Sonoma/Mendocino (CA) area. Want a FC Maran Roo?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NYCAChick, Sep 2, 2018.

1. NYCAChick

NYCAChick In the Brooder

Sep 2, 2018
    Cloverdale, CA
    Hi all,

I am new to chickens and since we got 8 chicks on May 12th (less than 4 months ago) its been nothing but chicks chicks chicks around here. Hard to get anything else done, but they are delightful.

Unfortunately, I am also discovering that teenagers are difficult. Especially teenage boys, yes? We ended up with 4 cockerels and 4 pullets (as happens) but one cockerel disappeared while free ranging (Lesson One, hard learned, but at least it was one of the cockerels).

And, yes, I know... I have 3 left, and having too many boys is something I need to deal with. But now they're "pets"... and I'm a vegetarian, so it's hard. Part of why I joined BackyardChickens...

I have:
    2 French Copper Marans (cockerels, gorgeous and friendly! want one?)
    1 Golden Laced Orpington
    1 Heritage Welsummer
    3 Sage Eggers (1 is a cockerel, super beautiful. Also looking for a good home)

I got them all from Alchemist Farms, a fantastic heirloom breeder in Sebastopol, CA who breeds for temperament as well as egg color. I chose them because I fell in love with the dark chocolate colored Marans eggs, but unfortunately, both my Marans are boys, so I am looking for another 6 pullets (Marans and Welsummer) to balance out the flock. (Know of anyone who has pullets available, nowish?)

I live up on the Northern Sonoma, Mendocino County county line and my boyfriend and I have recently moved from NYC back to CA be a caregiver to my dad as he gets older. And now I have fallen in love with his gorgeous little 3 acre property up on the mountain above Cloverdale, which is surrounded by oak and Douglas fir, meadows and vineyards. So, we are starting a mini homestead here, planting a small orchard, garden and now chickens, using permaculture design principals as much as possible. It's the first time I've ever wanted to be home more than somewhere else and I am very grateful to be here in California.. even though the fire season is fearsome and the damn cockerels are now keeping me up at night. :)

So, I know a few of you are Sonoma-Mendocino types, and I am hoping that one of you might have a very nice large flock of free rangers that needs a fancy French rooster? (Not for the soup pot, preferably).

Happy to be here with you all. Nice community, great information.

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/website-announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

NYCAChick, sourland, N F C and 6 others like this.
  3. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Great intro! :thumbsup Hope you enjoy being here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

4. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Hello! :frow Welcome to our FUNomenal Flock! Make yourself at home and have Lots of Fun!

The “teenage” boys just take time to to regulate their hormones. Hopefully you will find more peace in your flock!

Best wishes!!!

5. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
  6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP

Pork Pie, sourland, N F C and 4 others like this.
  7. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

8. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:frow BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! Lucky you for having a sweet Black Copper Maran rooster. I have a Black Copper Maran rooster too who is unfortunately aggressive. I hatched his offspring and they are getting to be little meanies too! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

10. N F C

N F C coffee time!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    BYC Welcome 4.jpg

Hi, it's nice to have you here with us! Good luck on finding new homes for your boys (and more girls for you).

rjohns39, Pork Pie, 007Sean and 2 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: