Hello from Sonora CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by discoveregg, Apr 15, 2011.

1. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Hello,

This is my first day on BYC forum and I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone and learning as much as possible about my girls. I have 2 Dutch Brown Leghorns, 2 RIs, 2 Buff Oringtons, 2 New Jersey Giants and 2 Barred Rocks. They are about 5 weeks old and are getting too big for the brooder. My husband has started constructing a coop, but progress is very slow and I'm worried that the girls will get stressed. Eglu manufactured coops look great.....but the shipping costs from England will probably be out of my budget. Does anyone know of an Eglu type company I can contact here in the states?

2. EssexGirl

EssexGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Hayward
    [​IMG]

I don't know about the Eglu, sorry, but from a brief internet search it looks to me like it wouldn't be big enough for the number of chickens you have. Good luck with the coop construction though, and welcome to the forum! [​IMG]

3. rival001

rival001 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    ca
    [​IMG] to byc...[​IMG]

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Happy to have you here!

MyPetChicken.com sells the Eglu for the US. Shipping for the larger sized Eglu is included in the price, the smaller sized ones shipping is extra. None of the Eglus are very big from what I have heard. But I've never seen one in real life.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow northern California member! [​IMG]

One option for your girls is getting a dog house and dog kennel to temporarily house them while you finish building. Dog kennels can often be found fairly cheap on Craigslist--I even got one for free once! I used plastic orange safety fencing secured by zip ties on top of my three dog kennel runs to prevent hawks. The kennels are handy for if you want to keep a small separate flock, need to quarantine, etc., as well.

Good luck with building, and with your pullets!

6. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Thanks SilverPhoenix, that's exactly what I've done! I have a St. Bernard, so have a extra large dog carrier on hand which I seperated and layed screen over the top for temporary quarters. But I'm still worried about the girls growing and the coop not being complete. Perhaps my question should be, how do I light a fire under my husband to get this coop up and put together? And lets keep the responses clean [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

9. 4-H chicken mom